What is A/B testing in Direct Marketing?
This testing is split testing, it involves creating one marketing campaign, but, with two versions of the same campaign. Whether, you are creating a web page, email campaign or direct mail campaign you can use this method of testing to see which variant works the best. A/B testing is also known as spit testing or bucket testing. We answer the question what is A/B testing in Direct Marketing?
A/B testing is a great way to see what works for your business and how the message is received by the recipient.
Email Campaign Example
- Create one campaign in email software, such as MailChimp, Constant Contact or Hubspot.
- From here you change the templates by using different these must be clearly different, for example create a landing page for one or a click through to an email for another or even a call back number so recipients can request calls from the company. Remember different peoples like to be contacted in different ways.
- Use different colours but the same graphics so change the colour of the text from one email template to another
- Make sure you track the responses of both campaigns and from here you can see what works the best. Afterall this is the purpose of seeing what works best!
Top tips for A/B Testing
Test Data – How do I set up a test?
Define a test group, which should be small subset of your recipients, say 20–30%. Recipients in the test group are selected randomly. Half of them will be sent Version A while the other half are sent Version B. From here you can pick and see what the “winning version” of the campaign is.
The remaining recipients will be sent the “winning version” and this will be more relevant to remainder of the recipients.
How will the winner be decided?
- Open rate,
- Total unique clicks
- Total clicks on a selected link as the performance metric for your test.
Changing the metric after a test has started is not advisable but, you can monitor activity for all three metrics while the test is progressing
This is just a small snapshot of A/B testing but, if you would like to find out more how we can help your business create a campaign like this please get in touch here